When I first went Indie I thought I knew how to succeed. I thought I know how to “make a good game” and that once I had achieved that, the rest would be easy.
I’m sure you can guess the punchline. The rest was not easy. And despite already having so many years of experience making AAA games, working with publishers, leading teams and managing multi-million dollar development budgets… I was a noob when it came to everything other than “make a good game”.
So I spent a crap-ton of time educating myself on how to win at being an Indie such as:
- I taught myself to be a guerrilla marketing ninja – No budget? No worries!
- I interviewed as many successful Indies as I could find to learn their business strategies.
- I spoke with design experts to see exactly how they created their MVPs (Minimum Viable Products).
- I learned about App Store Optimization to get my apps ranked highly on searches.
- I interviewed Indies who had run successful Kickstarter campaigns.
- I tried dozens of productivity and team management tools to find which ones work.
- I hired dozens of outsources on Elance and learned what to look out for.
- I set up a remote team and figured out what works and what doesn’t when everyone is working from home.
- And I learned a huge amount about the business side of running an Indie studio – getting investment, incorporating a company, issuing shares, dealing with lawyers (ugh), working with publishers, acquiring player traffic, taxes, hiring employees and on and on.
The blunt truth: To succeed, you’ve got to know how to do all the things I've listed above. Nowadays there is no such thing as “just make a good game and throw it on the app store and watch the money roll in”.
You need a complete game plan.
The Deep Dive Program provides you
with the complete game plan you need.
Through 1-ON-1 COACHING CALLS we will dig into every part of your Indie gameplan and ensure you are on the path to success.
Through 1-on-1 Coaching Calls we will discuss every aspect of your games and your business. We will DIG and then we will PLAN and then we will DO. The main areas we will dig into and work on being being rock-solid with are:
- YOUR CURRENT STATUS: Where you are at now, what you have done, what has worked, what hasn't worked, where you feel blocked, what you need help with, what has you worried, what has you excited, and so on.
- YOUR CURRENT GAME(S): What is the design, what is your monetisation strategy, what is your development process, what are your remarkability hooks, how will you prototype, how will you get feedback, what technical support do you need, who should you partner with, what are your outsourcing needs, and so on.
- YOUR MARKETING STRATEGY: How will you market your game, what have you done already, what is your strategy for getting press, how are you building community, what is your newsworthy "story", what is your social media plan, what tools do you need, what external support do you need, and so on.
- YOUR FINANCIAL AND BUSINESS PLAN: What is your 1-page business plan, what is your current runway (ie. money until you run out), do you need to do a Kickstarter, are you buttoned up with tax / accounting / contracts / legal / agreements, what is your long-term strategy.
- YOUR MOTIVATION AND PRODUCTIVITY: How are you managing your daily work, how are you ensuring you don't get burnt out, are you looking after your physical and mental health, what is your "why", who is supporting you, where are you getting stuck, and so on.
- YOUR TEAM PROCESSES: How are you leveraging the skills of others, should you be working more with others, how is your team set up, what is working and not working, is everyone clear on their role and tasks, what productivity tools are you using and how can they be improved, who should you stop working with, and so on.
Coaching Call Logistics:
- Typically, each 1-on-1 Coaching Call is from 60 to 90 minutes in duration.
- We use Skype or Google Hangout. Usually it is audio only but it can also be with video.
- Usually the call is 1-on-1 (me and you) but can also be 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 if you are working with a partner or a team. I wouldn't recommend going above 3 people unless there are team issues for us to work through.
- With this program we will have 3 calls. They can be spaced apart whenever makes sense. With some people we have 3 calls over the space of 10 days. With other people we have one call a month. With other people we have a call in week 1, a call in week 2 and then a call 1 month later in week 5. Its flexible.
- If you feel that you need more than 3 calls, or if you decide you want ongoing weekly support we can discuss this and figure out an ongoing plan.
Through unlimited EMAIL SUPPORT I will be your constant ally, ready to help you with decisions and provide feedback on your strategy.
For a full 6 months you can send me anything at all that you need support with. This doesn't mean that I'll do your work for you (ie. I'm not going to write your design documents or do your marketing for you) but I'll provide detailed feedback on your designs, strategies, communications, and anything else relevant. Here are some examples of ways people have benefited from this service:
- FINANCIAL STRATEGY: I have provided detailed feedback on Kickstarter campaigns, monetisation strategies and business plans.
- GAME DESIGNS: I have played prototypes, read designs and discussed concept documents - strengthening them so that they are more remarkable, coherent and actionable.
- MARKETING COPY: I have provided feedback for many people on their Reddit / Facebook / website / blog postings, as well as their emails to Youtubers and bloggers.
- PROJECT PLAN AND PRIORITIES: I regularly give feedback on what I feel are the most important development priorities, especially when Indies are in the early stage of development and have so many different competing priorities for their time.
- STAYING MOTIVATED AND NOT GIVING UP: I'm always more than happy to receive emails from my coaching clients on where they are stuck. Sometimes people just need to vent with someone who "gets it". I get it and usually have some words of advice to keep people moving forward.
You will be part of our supportive community of fellow Indie Developers
When you join this program I will invite you to our Secret Indie Support Group on Facebook. This group is exclusively for people who have participated in one of my coaching programs and is solely for the purpose of supporting each other succeed.
There is no trolling, hating, spamming or irrelevant posting tolerated.
It is a great, friendly, supportive place to get feedback on your early ideas or to ask any newbie questions you might want extra opinions on. These people aren't going to do all your work for you, but they are going to give you a helping hand to get where you want to go.
Places in the program are limited to ensure this is the highest quality program for you to participate in.
Even more so than the Indie Accelerator Program, this program - the Indie Deep Dive Program - is kept to a limited number of places so that I can ensure my availability for coaching calls and email support.
If there are no places available, the program will be listed as currently CLOSED.
Current status of the program:
- The program is currently: OPEN
I apologise in advance if the program is full. Typically, if the program is full it will remain closed for 2-4 months. If you see that it is closed, please leave your details here in the contact form and we will update you on when there is availability again.
If the program is OPEN, be sure to sign up and secure your place today.
Typically, if the program is OPEN, we can start our coaching calls within 1 week of your sign-up date.
You will receive access to our membership portal with all of the training and coaching videos immediately. You can start watching and working on the things that we will discuss in our coaching call so that we have maximum impact during our calls.
Once I receive notification that you have signed up for this program I will contact you via email and schedule a time for our first coaching call. Typically this will happen within 3 to 7 days of you signing up, depending upon your availability and mine.
Not only does this program give you access to the Indie Accelerator Program which has been researched, developed and iterated upon over the course of many hundreds of hours, it also gives you unlimited (within reason, of course!), premium access to me through our email discussions and the Secret Indie Support Group. You get my full attention and I will be committed to your success.
The total cost for the Indie Coaching Program is:
This program is the best of both worlds - you get tons of content that you can follow in your own time as well as a lot of my personal, hands-on support. And you get it fast so that you can course correct, iterate and improve RIGHT NOW instead of continuing down a path which might not be the best one for you. Time is money as they say and this is never more true than with Indie developers.
I know that you are passionate about making video games for a living and I know that this program will provide incredible value to your cause.
If you're ready to let me be part of your team, click the green button to get started immediately...
30-Day, No-Questions-Asked, Money-Back Guarantee
I’m not here to waste your time. I’m here for you to succeed.
If, for any reason, you don’t feel as though you have received incredible value from this program, I will refund you your money, no questions asked.
Rick is an expert in both game development AND personal development. Here's a quick snapshot...
Rick Davidson has been making video games for a living for more than 10 years as a Designer, Producer, Creative Director, and Executive Producer, creating games for console, mobile, PC and Facebook. He founded an Indie company, Inspirado Games, which was acquired in 2012 by Electronic Arts / PopCap. He has worked on cool IPs such as Mario, Transformers, Captain America and Mortal Kombat and created successful new IPs from scratch (such as "GardenMind" which was nominated for Canadian Game of the Year in the social / mobile category).
As a qualified Career Coach, Rick has helped more than 1000 people achieve their dream of making games for a living - both as Indie Game Developers and as valuable game industry employees. As a qualified Life Coach, Rick is constantly helping people get clear on what they want and take actions to achieve it.
Other nifty (and relevant) things include having a Masters Degree in Organisational Psychology and being a part-time instructor at the Vancouver Film School's prestigious Game Design Program (being voted "Instructor Of The Year" on two separate occasions).
There have been times in my life and in my career where I tried to do everything myself.
I tried to have all the answers.
I tried to do all the work.
Those weren't the times when I succeeded.
The times where I've really done well in my career and in life are the times when I've asked for help. Where I've gotten a second opinion, some feedback, some advice. And some coaching.
Here is my first piece of coaching for you: If you want it, go for it. Don't hold back. Don't live with 'maybes' or 'could have beens' or 'should haves'.
Life is too short to mess around.
I truly believe this statement:
"If you work hard and if you have
a great game plan then its
not a matter of IF you succeed,
its only a matter of WHEN."
I hope you'll let me prove to you that this statement is true.
If you're ready to come join me, and the other great people in our community, then click the button below, enter your details on the next page and within 1 minute from now you'll be strapping rocket boosters to your feet and truly accelerating your path to success... however you chose to define it.
Click the button to get started: