Together we'll identify exactly what you want, exactly what you need to do and exactly what might stop you.
By forming a longer-term partnership we will get you in action and turning your dreams into reality.
These dreams might be specific to the video game industry or they may not. I work with clients who have started their own Indie Studio. I work with clients who are recently graduated from school and want to do everything they can to get a job in the games industry. I work with people currently working in the games industry who want to seek promotion, or change disciplines (eg. from Production to Design) or work for a different studio.
If you dream of getting paid to make games for a living, I have the skills to help you.
I also work with many clients who don't know what they want in life. People who are doing "ok" but want to be doing "great". People who have lost their energy, who want to change career, who want better relationships, who want to be happier, healthier, more productive, who want to see the world or who want to settle down.
Often these things are all tied together. Often we need to clear away some clutter from your life to make you effective. Often we need to concentrate on the "real you" before we can get you moving forward.
With 1-on-1 coaching there is no messing around: we're here to get you results.
My role as your coach is to:
- Help you figure out exactly what it is you want.
- Help identify the gaps, weaknesses, roadblocks.
- Help you find the most effective strategies to achieve success.
- Help you plan your actions.
- Hold you accountable as you get into action.
- Support you when you hit tough times.
- Find different ways of looking at challenging situations.
- Help you recommit and re-calibrate if you falter.
- Help celebrate your successes.
- Connect you with other people in my network who can help you.
- Brainstorm and discuss solutions to problems.
- Teach you everything I have learned about your particular situation that I feel might be useful.
Through 1-ON-1 COACHING CALLS and ongoing EMAIL DIALOGUE we will focus on getting you the results you want.
I have a tried-and-tested approach that I use for coaching:
- We use Skype or Google Hangout for our calls - this means you can be anywhere in the world, it doesn't matter. Usually the calls are audio-only as I find this lets you concentrate better than when we have video as well.
- Typically, we have one coaching call per week with email dialogue and updates between calls. Each Coaching Call is up to 60 minutes in duration.
- I usually require coaching clients to make a 3 month commitment to coaching. I find that anything less than this means that we are rushing and not properly implementing strategies that will be lasting. We need to build habits. We need to give you time to try and possibly fail without feeling the pressure of only getting once chance "to get it right".
- I ask for your coaching fees to be paid up front before starting our coaching partnership. This is standard practice for coaching as it cements your commitment to take the actions we discuss and do everything you can to ensure the coaching is valuable (ie. that you get your value for money). If you chose to end the coaching partnership before 3 months is completed, I refund any unused portion of your fees.
- I have a "three strikes and you're out policy". Everyone messes up, everyone has times where they don't do what they say. However, to ensure that you aren't wasting your time or my time, if you don't take the actions you said you would on 3 occasions, we end the coaching partnership and I refund the unused portion of your coaching fees.
- Usually, we have a complimentary (ie free) intro call to see if there is a good fit - you need to know that I'm the right coach for you, and I need to see that I can add value to what you are up to.
Over time I've concluded that there is no "one size fits all" with coaching. Some people need just 1 strategic session to get them on track with a powerful gameplan.
Others really benefit from having a longer term ally who can help push them on a regular basis.
The first step in any coaching partnership is understanding your needs. If you contact Rick, the more details you can provide about where you are at and where you want to get to, the better.
To ensure you get my full support, I have a maximum of 8 Premium 1-on-1 clients I work with at any one point in time.
As with my other programs, I limit the amount of clients I work with to ensure the highest quality coaching and support. The 1-on-1 premium coaching is the most limited given how much time investment I will be making in you and your journey.
If there are no places available, the program will be listed as currently CLOSED.
Current status of the program:
- The program is currently: OPEN
I apologise in advance if the program is full. Typically, if the program is full it will remain closed for 2-4 months. If you see that it is closed, please leave your details in the contact form and we will update you on when there is availability again.
If the program is OPEN, you can apply today for one of the open slots and I will get in contact with you to discuss things further.
Unlike my other programs, for the 1-on-1 Premium Coaching I require you to fill out a simple application form.
Why do you need to apply for coaching? Simply because some people aren't ready for coaching or don't actually need coaching. For example, someone who is thinking about maybe one day doing something doesn't need coaching... whereas a person who wants to do that thing right now but is having trouble starting or getting results is perfect for coaching.
If you feel that you are ready for 1-on-1 Coaching and would like to schedule a free, no-obligation introductory call to see if we would work well together, please complete the contact form below answering these 3 questions:
- From 1 to 5, how ready are you to start a coaching partnership? 5 = Very ready, I know coaching would be great and want to start right now 4 = Somewhat ready, I just need to ask some questions and make sure this would be valuable for me 3 = I'm not sure, I haven't really thought about it much yet 2 = I'm not really ready, I just wanted to get some information for the future 1 = Not ready at all yet, I don't even know if I believe coaching would work for me
- What are you looking to accomplish in your life, your career or your business that you feel would benefit from coaching?
- What else have you tried that worked or didn't work in terms of reaching your goals?
- Where do you live and what time zone are you on?
Rick is an expert in both game development AND personal development. Here's a quick snapshot...
Rick Davidson has been making video games for a living for more than 10 years as a Designer, Producer, Creative Director, and Executive Producer, creating games for console, mobile, PC and Facebook. He founded an Indie company, Inspirado Games, which was acquired in 2012 by Electronic Arts / PopCap. He has worked on cool IPs such as Mario, Transformers, Captain America and Mortal Kombat and created successful new IPs from scratch (such as "GardenMind" which was nominated for Canadian Game of the Year in the social / mobile category).
As a qualified Career Coach, Rick has helped more than 1000 people achieve their dream of making games for a living - both as Indie Game Developers and as valuable game industry employees. As a qualified Life Coach, Rick is constantly helping people get clear on what they want and take actions to achieve it.
Other nifty (and relevant) things include having a Masters Degree in Organisational Psychology and being a part-time instructor at the Vancouver Film School's prestigious Game Design Program (being voted "Instructor Of The Year" on two separate occasions).